TMJ Symptoms are commonly confused with migraines and headaches
You may be suffering from TMJ problem and don’t know about it
MY JAW HURTS!
CAN’T OPEN MY MOUTH!
I HAVE DIFFICULTIES CLOSING MY MOUTH!
WHEN I OPEN MY MOUTH IT DEVIATES TO ONE SIDE!
MY JAW MAKES NOISES WHEN I OPEN IT OR CLOSE IT!
Jaw pain, deviations or difficulties on jaw movement might be a sign that one is suffering from Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) or commonly known as TMJ (temporomandibular joint). There are many reasons one might be suffering from TMJ but one of the more common is trauma. This trauma can be macro trauma, like the one caused by a car accident, fall etc. or micro trauma as a result form bad oral habits, “bad bite” (malocclusion), loss of posterior teeth (posterior bite collapse), improperly done oral reconstruction or orthodontic treatment.
If left untreated, TMD or TMJ, in some cases, could develop into a complicated debilitating condition.
The following is a general set of questions, guidelines or self-evaluations you can use to determine if a professional TMD – TMJ evaluation is needed. By no means it’s suggested that this set of questions, guidelines or self-test be the only criteria used to seek professional help. If in doubt, SEEK HELP!
- Have you been suffering from headaches of unknown origin?
- Do you have pain right in front of your ears and is not an ear infection?
- Do you hear noises when opening or closing your mouth?
- Has your mouth locked open or closed?
- Do you have difficulties moving your jaw or does it deviate to one side when opening?
- Have you been in an accident recently where you were hit on the head or jaw?
- Have you lost most of the teeth in the back of your mouth?
- Do you have a bad bite or difficulties eating?
- Did you have an oral rehabilitation or orthodontics and since then your jaw hurts?
- Do you wake up with neck pain and have been told you grind your teeth at night?
If you suspect that you are suffering from TMD or TMJ seek professional help as soon as possible. The dental specialist that is best suited to provide a full evaluation of your “bite”, mandibular movements and oral reconstruction is a Prosthodontist. Furthermore, some Prosthodontists have undergone additional post-doctoral training in non–surgical treatment of TMD – TMJ.
For a comprehensive TMD – TMJ evaluation schedule an appointment. Our team is proud to have Dr Delgado with us, the only Prosthodontist trained in TMD management in Georgia, a true TMJ doctor!
Call us today.